Lena M. Martinez
Ever since his 2nd Birthday, Nico’s been sleeping in his big boy room, on a twin size mattress we’ve placed on the ground until we get proper rails for the full size bed in his room and he’s a bit bigger.  Coincidently his Tata (my Mom) came to visit us for a couple mths at the same time, and since then Nico’s sleeping schedule has been completely wacked up.

Ever since he was 2 wks old Nico’s slept through the entire night, and right up to his 2nd birthday he was going to sleep btwn 9 – 10 pm and waking up btwn 8 – 9 am, without any night disruptions. You could say we were blessed and lucky. Then came birthday #2. Since then, he’s been waking up at 6 am crying, and we manage to get him to fall back asleep most night at least for another hour, but not without laying in bed with him and quietly slipping out once he’s finally crashed again. Of course it always comes at the exact time when I’m breastfeeding Victoria, and though he cries out for Mommy, 98% of the time it’s Daddy or Tata who run to the rescue. Then once he gets up after 7 am, it’s the same drill, and most times Mommy is still not available. I’ve been getting little sleep at night since Victoria’s been  colicky, and I’ve been lucky and blessed Mom and Julio have been holding up the fort and letting me catch an hour or two of sleep in the morning.

The situation’s gotten worst in recent days. In addition to what has already been going on, he’s now been getting up crying (like he’s freaked out) btwn 4 – 5 am. Lucky us, huh. It’s been crazy. But then came last night… woke up crying for Mommy at 5:30 am, I ran to his room and it was pitch black and I found him only by follwing his cry UNDER the full size bed. How did he get down there, beats me. I had to pull him out and he would not let go of me, clearly he was freaked out. Tucked him back into bed but he wouldn’t go back to sleep or let me leave without me cuddling with him. I slipped out when he fell back asleep, and he didn’t wake up again until 7 am. At that time, he called for me again and I went and told him it was too early, everyone was sleeping and Mommy needed to sleep more, told him to go back to bed and stay quiet. I didn’t think it would last more than 5 min, but I went back to bed nevertheless waiting for him to call for me again. To our surprise he didn’t make any noise or call for me again until 8:50 am. Halleluya! Hope is the last thing one loses… let’s hope his sleeping habits resume to being more normal and less erratic. For the sake of all of us. Especially mine. 
7 Responses
  1. Andrea Says:

    Kailyn has been doing the same thing! Except for us it happens at 11pm and around 1:30am...every night. And it's like she's had a bad dream or something. All she wants is a hug and then she can go back to bed. I guess since it's happening to both of us, it's normal?


  2. "Normal". I often ask myself what the definition of that word is anymore, lol. Let's assume that yes, indeed these wacked up changes in sleep scheds are normal for our 2 yr olds... if only one could just sleep through the night... of course now with Victoria, that isn't happening either way. Sorry to hear you're having sleeping blues as well. Sigh.

    Last night, Nico fought to go to sleep, finally falling asleep sometime around 11 pm, with (bottom) half of his body under the full size bed. Good thing I checked him before going to bed and placed him in his bed correctly. He didn't wake up at 4 am, nor at 6 am. Today he woke up at around 7:30 am, but luck would have it I could not sleep in b/c Victoria has an 8:15 am Ped appointment, and I was wide awake and feeding at that time. Victoria had bad colic last night after 5 am and I got little sleep, not to mention my only solution to catch small doses of zzzs was to hold her upright and doze off and on, on our couch. I'm exhausted! :/


  3. Andrea Says:

    Awww I'm really sorry to hear that Victoria is colicky, that is NO fun at all. Kailyn was really colicky too. I think I ended up sleeping with her on my chest twice when she was itty bitty... not too safe but i always knew she was there and it got to the point that I HAD to get sleep. I hope she gets better soon. Have you tried those gas drops? Kailyn got way better after i gave her some of those. Hopefully, your dr has some words of wisdom for you. Good luck! :)


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I am giving this commenting another shot; but I'm not going to write much in case it doesn't work again. I do feel your pain. Things will settle down again once Nico feels more settled in his life. Love to you all and hang in there.


  5. Anonymous Says:

    SUCCESS!!!! I don't know how I did it!!!!! I have been trying to leave you comments for MONTHS and it hasn't been working. Holy crap!!! If I figure this out . . . my comments will be as frequent as your posts. :)


  6. Anonymous Says:

    I know now what to do. I won't leave you any more comments for fear of sounding MORE crazy than I already do. What am I worried about. . . you know I'm nuts. I just can't believe I figured it out. It has always been a problem with entering the security code. . .no worries now. I'm back in business. :)I am done now!!!


  7. yay Maria!! Finally bring on the comments... :)

    Can't wait till you guys come back!! See you soon!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails