Lena M. Martinez
Along with many women, I too pledged to become part of this yearlong movement through BlogHer. Why not? It’s something to keep you thinking and motivated to strive to be the best you can be, love yourself, and do your part in encouraging and influencing others’ lives.
Own Your Beauty is a groundbreaking, year-long movement bringing women together to change the conversation about what beauty means. Our mission: to encourage and remind grown women that it is never too late to learn to love one's self and influence the lives of those around us - our mothers, friends, children, neighbors. We can shift our minds and hearts and change the path we follow in the pursuit of authentic beauty. 

In keeping with January’s theme, Adventure, I thought I’d write about my 2011 [projected] adventures.

Life is an adventure… mine is a mix of adventures with my kids, husband, marriage, long To Do lists, projects, friendships, and conquering even the worst health issues. I vowed 2011 would be filled with good things, positive thinking, completed projects, all wrapped up in a bundle of happy feelings with a big bow of joyful life. This, after the very stressful and heart-wrenching experiences we went through as a family in the last quarter of 2010 with Julio’s kidney cancer. I know our love and God was what got us through it all.

So, what adventures await in 2011?

1) Back to blogging. Because I simply LOVE it! I started off January by getting back to blogging, after what seemed like an eternal hiatus. I’ve vowed to become a serious blogger, and have been doing tons of research and work on that matter. I’m getting ready to pimp up both my blogs AND move to Wordpress once and for all. Blogging has become one of my most enjoyable hobbies since I started last year, so why not dive into it? Of course, I never have enough time to devote all that I’d like to it with the kids and life in general. But, when there’s a will there’s a way.

2) Travel with my hubby, sans kids. Or you can call it mini-honeymooning. Luckily my Mom’s spending some months here with us, so that will facilitate this, we hope. I just realized, more strongly than ever before, that Julio and I need more ‘us time’. We love our kids, but life can (and has) become mostly about them, and working all around them. And that’s ok. Most of the time. But we just cannot neglect each other, or stop enjoying ‘us moments’ for so long. We need time alone with each other. We deserve it, we want it and we’re making it happen. After all, we know life is too short, and every second counts.

3) Renewing our vows. Because after all, our love and family is what makes life worth living. This year marks our 5th Wedding Anniversary. I had always told Julio that when we married we’d renew our vows every 5 years. It was never written in stone or anything, but after 2010 came and went, nothing seems more appropriate than to renew our vows, and promise our love to each other once again. I’m sure whatever way we do it, wherever it ends up being, it’ll be as special, if not more, than when we promised each other the world the first time around that 21st of Dec. of 2006. Now, wearing my wedding dress might be too long of a stretch and an impossible feat, but it’s an interesting thought. I have it stored in the closet.

4) Complete projects. Because I’m addicted to projects. But, I have had an ever growing list of projects that keep piling up. Some I’ve started and never finished, and some have remained simply ideas as they’ve failed to launch. In any case, I’d like to renew the efforts to complete them, the most I can. My personal and cooking blogs are two ongoing projects that really need a lot of attention and work put into them. Others are mostly [our] home design/décor and organization projects including but not limited to: painting the house interiors (very big project); transitioning Victoria’s baby room to big girl room; basement kids/tv room; basement game room; garage organization; back yard gardening; etc.

5) Empowering ourselves with knowledge of our health and risks. Some adventures you simply don’t look much forward to, but nevertheless, they’re adventures. Live and learn. Julio will be getting check-up CT scans every couple mths or so, which I’m sure will not come without the added stress and anxiety of finding out results and praying everything is a-ok. But, like they say, “what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger”, right? Sigh. It’s hard not to worry.  We’re also thinking of getting genetic testing, for both of us, to assess the risks (or lack of) getting certain cancers for us and our children. VHL genetic testing for Julio because of his bilateral kidney cancers (which were successfully removed with negative margins in late 2010), and BRCA1 and BRCA2 genetic testing for me because of my family health history (Mom’s ovarian cancer and Dad’s breast cancer). Knowledge is empowering, no matter how you look at it.

So, many adventures set forth in 2011. I hope to be able to accomplish most, if not all of the things I’ve projected. There’s also the cliché New Year’s Resolutions that always seem to be lost in translation or fall through the cracks much before half of the year is even over: lose weight and get fit; clear the clutter; get organized; stop procrastinating; be on time to everything; etc. I hope to be successful at keeping those as well. Good luck to me!

…and good luck to all of you in all your 2011 adventures!
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails